Thursday, August 31, 2006

Throw my TV out the window Idea

I've has this idea for a while now, ever since I spent 3 and a half months in Paris a few years ago. The idea was to replicate the environment I was living in at the time, which consisted of going to class from 9-12, then wandering around Paris for a couple hours after lunch, then going back to my apartment, which had no tv and no internet access.

It was one of my most productive times ever, writing-wise.

It made me feel great, especially reading things like A Moveable Feast, right there in Paris.

That, to me, is the writer's lifestyle. I had some random nights where I would go out with friends and walk, drink wine, and talk. It was unbelievable, I loved it.

But as soon as I got on the plane and got home, I turned on the TV and things went back to their usual pace. Which meant less writing, a lot less.

It's just too easy to turn on the TV and sit there for hours on end, especially after work. So I thought (and am currently re-thinking the idea) of just trashing the TV altogether and no renewing my DSL service.

A couple of things:

1) It would be a shot a replicating, if only the environment, of one of the best times of my life.

2) It gives me, just by doing it (whether it's cutting my TV's power cord or giving it away, whatever), something incredibly interesting to write about—the effects of TV deprivation (and deprivation in general) in a society where life without TV is chafed at with a big "Why?"

3) It takes away the temptation, it being the only way I can force myself to get work done. I've learned I do NOT have the discipline to just not turn the TV on and get to work. If I had a TV in Paris I would've rewired the fucking thing just to catch some TV. But I didn't, so all I did was read and write.


So there it is, what do you think? Is this mildly interesting at all? Today I was thinking it would make for a good blog, since I was reflecting that this blog is too "schmorgasborg" (sp?) and not focused enough on one or two specific subjects.

Any thoughts on this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home