Friday, April 28, 2006

Immigration Protests

My mom asked me if I was going to go to work on Monday. I had no idea, but amidst all the immigration issues in the news right now, there is going to be a big "day without Hispanics" throughout the country. The idea is for people to not go to work so that employers can see how important those workers are. Whether or no it will work I don't know, but it reminded me of that movie "A Day Without Mexicans" and so I was intrigued.

Plus I could get out of work with a idealistic excuse.

Then I read about what the people behind the protests want: Full amnesty.

That's when I started getting a little lukewarm on the idea.

Here's what I think:

I think that, if you want to come to a new country, you should learn the language. It's on you to adapt to the place you're going to. Most people don't do this, but a lot do.

I think that, if you do decide to come here illegally, you put yourself into a very precarious situation. Is it worth it? Damn right it is, look at the numbers: economically and the sheer amount of people that come across (or try) tell you that it pays off for latin american countries and for the people sacrificing themselves to come over.

But full amnesty? The system is broken and it needs to be fixed. But no matter what, people are going to want to come here if their home lives are shit. That's the way it is. Granted, we don't want to have The United States of all of America.

I guess the only real answer is for those countries (Guatemala included) to really get down to business and make them a better place for people to stay and live. It'll happen eventually.

It's a complicated situation, but you can't come to someone else's country and start demanding things because you want a better life. I'm sorry. It may sound shitty, but that's life. Some of us are lucky and some of us aren't, life isn't fair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home