Thursday, May 11, 2006

Running With Scissors

I'm reading Augusten Boroughs's Running with Scissors, and I'm really liking it. So I went online and wanted to read an interview with him. I found some good stuff.

The secret to being a writer is that you have to write. It's not enough to think about writing or to study literature or plan a future life as an author. You really have to lock yourself away, alone, and get to work.

Plus I like this last question:

What tips or advice do you have for writers still looking to be discovered?
Well, like I said above -- you must never give up. Once I decided to write, to be published, I knew it would happen. I knew that if I wrote a new book every six months or every year, if I continued to read great books, eventually I would write something worthy of publication. I understood I might be in my forties or my fifties or even my sixties, but I felt confident that it would happen. The reason I was so confident is because I knew I wouldn't stop trying until it happened. And this is the secret. You don't need to be confident. You just need to be stubborn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home