Friday, May 4, 2007

The State of Book Reviews in Newspapers

Here's an interesting article about how book reviews are becoming less and less common in papers as the popularity of blogs has exploded.

I for one agree with the "democratic" characterization of book reviews on blogs. If I want to review whatever book I want, I can. If I want to say something is horrible, I do. Newspapers (as all other institutions) have certain interests and needs that need to be met. Freedoms are restricted. Bloggers have their own business when it comes to their reviews.

I do feel for those who can't or refuse to adjust to this change. Especially older folks who love books and want to read about them but are having a tougher time finding reviews in traditional media.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home