Thursday, August 23, 2007

My Baseball Bet: Yadier Molina

During the playoffs in 2006 there was one player that really surprised me in terms of his season numbers and how they contrasted with the way he played in the playoffs.

Check out Yadier Molina's career numbers, they also show how he did during those playoffs. What strikes me is that throughout his career he's always had pretty good BB/K ratios. Even if his walk total isn't very high, he usually strikes out only a little more than he walks.

He was sped through the minor-league system because his defense was so good, so his bat never really had the time to evolve, to adjust to the better levels.

He hit .216 last season but hit .358 during the postseason with 6 walks and 5 strikeouts. I remember his at bats too, they were quality every single time. I was shocked that this guy had played a whole major-league season and only hit .216.

Well, look at his numbers this season:

He's hitting .276 with a .349 OBP. His BB/K ratio is very good at 29/36. His slugging is low, but his numbers across the board are way better than his career averages.

As far as I'm concerned, he's finally getting the hand of hitting major league pitchers, he's only 25, and he's still one of the best catchers in baseball.

The best part? He's only making half a million dollars this season.

UPDATE

At the start of this season I predicted Miguel Cabrera would have a Pujols-esque season. Well, I was close. He's having his very first 1.000+ OPS season, which is a Pujols staple. But I predicted he would finally walk more times than he would strike out, basing my assumption on how his walks had climbed and his strikeouts gone down.

Alas, I was wrong. It seems last year was an anomaly (86BB/108Ks). He's having a year like all his others in terms of strikeouts, even though he will walk around 80 times this year. So his walks are staying high, which is good, but his strikeouts are high again, the way they were before last year.

Not that this is all bad, he's an incredible player and is still getting better. It just isn't a Pujols season (77BB, 51Ks).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home