Friday, February 24, 2006

More misquotes in MLB

Here's an interesting angle on this discussion of Spanish-speaking players being mis-quoted in order to make them "sound right":

From the Washington Post:

"The only thing that I know is that I'm happy to be here in Washington," Soriano said, in response to a question about a potential move to the outfield. "I have one week to practice second base because I have to go to the [WBC]. And that's what I have now in my mind. I no think about outfield."

Presumable the same quote, from the Washington Times:

"I have [12 days] to get ready to play in the world cup at second base," he said. "So I'm not thinking about outfield right now. We have plenty of time to think about it."

Considering that these reporters know the basics of English, I'm thinking that Soriano misspoke when he said "I no think about outfield." Which is fine, I sound like that too when I speak French, but what I'm getting at is that this reporter didn't change it.

What happened to the whole thing about not making players look like "idiots?" I'll email the writer and see what the story is on this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home