Thursday, May 10, 2007

Lifehacker.com

I like this website, it's devoted to making life more efficient via software. I am a HUGE proponent of making all kinds of processes, be they work related or not, faster and more efficient.

This one particular tip to deal with spam seems to make a whole lot of sense for people/business that don't receive a whole lot of legitimate foreign email:

By blocking email from most of the undeveloped world, I've successfully reduced spam by 95 percent in the past year.

And he goes on to show you how to do it.

I thought nothing of it except that it wouldn't work for me, seeing as how I have people I'd like to hear from in "underdeveloped" parts of the world.

But, as is usual for these kinds of news pieces, the comments section provided infinitely better entertainment (the now-deceased comments section on Yahoo News was the best!):

I don't know why they don't just make a separate internet just for Americans - who cares about people in the rest of the world.

Then there is a standard case of the people knowing more than the writer, as they debunk the claim that the "underdeveloped" world is the cause of 95% of the world's email.

On the comments section:

C'mon LifeHacker, change your xenophobic ways! Everyone knows that the lion's share of all spam originates in the U.S. of A, with Canada, the UK high up on the list of offenders too.

SpamHaus Statistics: http://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/countries.lasso

And sure enough, the statistics bear this out.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lifehacker has been a favorite resource of mine for quite a while now. Its on my daily blogroll!

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home