Tuesday, May 8, 2007

New Blog on Being an American Stranger

For those of you that are keeping track, I posted something a while back about possibly starting a new blog with some articles I've been writing about my experiences as a foreigner that doesn't look like a foreigner living in the US. And all the hilarity that ensues.

I got a couple of comments about it, one of which was the following:

Anonymous said...

Aren't you being just a bit disingenuous in characterizing yourself as a "foreigner" in the US? You are, after all, 50% US American by birth and were schooled in institutions following US culture-based currricula, esp. your early childhood schooling when those things are easiest to learn and get hard-wired.

My response:
Carlos P said...

Perhaps a bit disingenuous, but the way I see it I was raised somewhere that is NOT the US. No matter what kind of situation you are in while living in a place like Guatemala, it is NOT the US. It is, like any other place in the world, completely unique. So moving to the US afterwards, while being much easier for me than some other people (i.e. those that don't know english, have darker skin, etc.), was still an adjustment. An adjustment that was not easy at all.

The blog would focus on those adjustments and the new life that comes with being someone who carries a culture and experience in his heart and mind while living in an entirely different place that knows very little about the experience.

Maybe I'll post more on this later. I'm in a bit of a rush but it's a good question to discuss.

More on this later.

Well, later is now. I figured this was the perfect time to start the new blog and get my articles ready for outside viewing.

So to read up on the rest of my response to this comment, please go to the new blog, American Stranger. If you have a better name for it, please let me know, I'll consider good ideas.

And please don't stop reading this blog, as it will still be as active as ever!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting new blog... By the way, I tried posting something, but your other blog only allows posts from Blogger accounts. Can you switch that so the other blog works like this one?

12:31 PM  
Blogger Carlos P said...

Oops, it's fixed now!

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home